History of the College of Education
President Lathrop considered the training of teachers to be among the most important functions of any state university. His opinion was supported by the new Missouri state constitution of 1865. The document suggested that all state universities house a department in instruction of teaching. It was at this point that the Board of Curators created the Normal College in 1868. Its purpose was to prepare teachers for public schools. E.L. Ripley of Michigan was appointed as the director.
Grace C. Bibb from St. Louis took charge of the school in 1878. She was the first female appointed a deanship at the University. Under her leadership, women were first allowed into the Normal College, then all other university departments.
After a series of name changes during the early 1900s, the Normal College eventually became the College of Education.
Today, graduates are employed at a variety of educational institutions and non-school settings. The college's vision is "Educating Missouri, our Nation and our World." This vision is realized through research-based professional practice and training, which prepares lifelong educators and professionals to provide the necessary foundation for truly educated citizens.
The College of Education is housed in Townsend and Hill Halls, and the administrative offices are located in Hill Hall.